Tuesday Takeaways: NFL Week 7 Reactions

We have finished 7 whole weeks of the NFL season! Comment any thoughts or opinions you had from this past week! 

1. Not sure what to make of Russell Wilson's Steelers debut.

My eyes and the stats tell me two different stories of Russell Wilson's season debut. He missed easy throws, looked a little frantic in the pocket, and floated some deep balls when he threw them. That being said he had over 260 yards and two touchdowns and a win. I think lots of the success can be attributed to George Pickens having freakish talent and making insane plays. While I did not think Wilson LOOKED great, I will say the offense did look to flow better. I was a person who thought it was very harsh to bench Fields. I must admit the offense did look better for the most part with Russ. I will look to see if this continues. I question if the Steelers can win without Najee keeping the defense honest in the run game. We will see if Tomlin made the right decision at QB, but he is someone that has proven I hardly ever question what he is doing.

2. Questions on the defensive side of the ball in Baltimore.

Baltimore looks like a true championship contender. That being said, the defense has a lot more question marks surrounding them than years previous. They have a bottom 10 defense in points and yards allowed per game. Part of that is game scripts where teams are having to get chunk plays to keep up with the Ravens dominant offense. The Ravens still have shown flashes, but have not played an entire game where the defense dominated from start to finish. If the Ravens want to make that final step into winning a Super Bowl, I think the defense needs to step it up.

3. DK Metcalf has finally reached his potential.

I think DK is combining with the great play of Geno Smith to fully utilize his natural talents. DK has had multiple good seasons but personally I feel like he could always reach a new level. I think he may have. DK is fifth in targets, third in yards, and top of the league in yards per game. I think he is on his way to an All-Pro season.

4. I think it is time to go back to Bryce Young.

The first two weeks looked promising for Andy Dalton, but the last three weeks have been bad. The Panthers are 1-6 and Dalton is not playing very good. No matter what the team tries to tell themselves the season is over. I think you go back to your former #1 overall pick and try to see what you have. If anything up his trade value. Dalton will not provide you much short term and offers nothing long term. Young at least potentially offers something in the future. 

5. Tee Higgins is going to get paid to be some team's WR1 this offseason.

Not counting his first game back coming back from the injury against Washington, Higgins is averaging nearly 10 targets a game for 6.5 catches and 75.5 yards with three touchdowns in those four games. That is WR1 usage while sharing splits with Ja'Marr Chase. It looks like the Bengals and Higgins are not going to make a long term deal work. If Higgins hits the FA market some team will be willing to give him a big pay day to be their go-to guy. I look to anyone in the AFC West, the Patriots, or the Titans to be teams who have needs for a WR1 and/or money to spend on Higgins. Higgins has been consistently very good as a WR2 and I want to see him become the focal point of an aerial attack.

6. With the loss of both WRs, the Buccaneers playoff hopes may have disappeared.

The Buccaneers and Baker Mayfield started the season on fire. I fear their run is over. Both of their stud WRs suffered brutal looking injuries on MNF. Mike Evans entered the game with a hamstring injury and greatly aggravated it, to the point where ESPN reported he was in too much pain to take off his shoe. He will likely be out a minimum of six weeks. Chris Godwin suffered a gruesome ankle injury in the waning seconds of a game that was already over, and his season is done. I don't think the Bucs have enough in the passing game to combat these injuries. It is unfortunate because Tampa Bay is a very fun team and the two WRs were having fantastic seasons, and I hate to see it end because of injuries that probably could have been avoided.

Comments

  1. russell was not the problem

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I admitted the offense looked better as a whole with Russ. He did have a good start last year too numbers wise. Just being a little cautious with how I judge his return off his last few seasons! Admittedly he looked better than I expected

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Post Lottery 2024 NBA Mock Draft 1.0

2024-25 NFL Hot Takes

Grading Every NBA Team's 2023-24 Season!